Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

The following is a Déjà moo post from 2010. 

Why? 

Because I spent the day with my Mom and Dad - I was BUSY, okay? 

BONUS:  This year (as in TODAY), my parents celebrated their 56th Wedding Anniversary.  Yeah, it's all good...

Even when we're not there with you guys in person, you're always right here - with me.  Thanks for being my folks...

Mike

And now, on with the post, already in progress (for the past 365 days)... 

My Mom asked me not to send her flowers this Mother's Day.  Not because she didn't WANT the flowers, but, because she wanted me to save the money associated with sending flowers saying, "Just a card and a phone call will be fine..." 

You see, that's how Mom's 'are'.  They worry about you more than they worry about themselves.  It's why, I guess, someone decided more than one hundred years ago that there should be such a thing as "Mother's Day". 

The actual story of Mother's Day is, well, convoluted at best.  You can read about it by clicking here:  The Origins of Mother's Day

In honor of Mother's Day, I submit the following video clip to my Mom (I figure she'll see it sooner or later after Dad logs her onto the site).  These two guys are NOT me and my brother, but there are similarities between them and US. 

For those of you who don't know us, I'm the better-looking-one (whichever one you think that is, well, that's me).


Random Thanks for Mom 2010:
Thanks for letting me make the mistakes you knew I had to (in order to learn the difference between a 'GOOD idea' and a 'NOT SO GOOD idea' for myself).

Thanks for always being there after I had some 'REALLY BAD IDEAS'.

Thanks for letting me know it was okay to mess up as long as 'no one got killed'.  (Note:  No lives have been lost thus far, so "It's all good.")

Thanks for knowing when to let go.

Thanks for knowing when to hold on.

Thanks for always being there (wherever 'there' needed to be).

Thanks for getting me the things 'I needed' instead of giving me the things 'I wanted'.  (These two lists were VERY different from each other.)

Thanks for helping me with my kids. 

Thanks for taking your vitamins and doing what the Docs tell you to do so you can tell ME what to do for many years to come.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: 

Thanks for being my Mom.

I hope that one day my kids will feel about me the same way I feel about you and Dad. 

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day too Dad! 

Remember when Mom was working on the weekends and I would come up and ask, "What's for lunch?"

Dad would look at the _________________ (Insert power tool name here) in his hand, look back at me and say the single word, "Skip."

"You mean, like, Peanut Butter sandwiches?", I would ask.

"Nope.  Mom's not here.  So today we're 'skipping' lunch." 

Then he'd put the tool down, walk into the house, wash up and make me and my brother either a Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Bowl of Tomato Soup, or, yes, sometimes a PB&J. 

Because being a Dad means being a Mom sometimes too.  Being a parent means being able to slip into either role every day for the rest of your life.  Because being a parent isn't like being 'on the clock' at work, for a parent the shift never ends, and my folks have been fully-engaged since my brother and I were born long ago in a town not so far away. 


Thanks Mom and Dad, all my love to both of you on Mother's Day!

Your 'Rotten kid',

Mike


p.s.:  This Tuesday, May 10th, Mom is going in for a knee replacement.  I know she'll be fine, but if you get a moment, please remember her in your prayers when you put your head down tonight to sleep.  Just ask God to look over Mike's and John's Mom - He knows who she is... 

'Cause they talk all the time.

Good night folks.   

2 comments:

Fishygal said...

As you were celebrating your mom and their anniversary we were visiting the America's Heartland, the great state of Iowa. May 8th was my in laws 65th anniversary. All they wanted was the kids in the pews behind them on Sunday morning at St Mary's. As we gathered in our Sunday finest and all walked in together they had tears in their eyes. Seven of the 10 were in attendance with their spouses. Sprinkle in grandchildren and voila you have a beautiful family. Father was so funny asking who started all of this. He gave them a special blessing and they took up the offering. I have to tell you Moo's it was a beautiful thing. (Dinner after mass was not so pretty)

This woman has been my mother as long as my own, may she RIP. She turns 88 this year and I can't imagine life without her but I know it will come.

Mike's Moosroom said...

FishyGal, When push comes to shove, the only thing you can truly depend upon is family.

Next time you speak to the Inlaws, let them know that they are in my prayers - those 'crazy kids'.

My wife and I had our 25th Anniversary this year. Forty years from now, I'll be, umm, 92. Don't know if I can match your Inlaws longevity in marriage - but I'm going to give it the old college try...

Thanks for stopping by - have a great day!