Monday, January 9, 2012

Through the Looking Glass...



Cheshire Cat: If I were looking for a white rabbit, I'd ask the Mad Hatter.

Alice: The Mad Hatter? Oh, no no no...

Cheshire Cat: Or, you could ask the March Hare, in that direction.

Alice: Oh, thank you. I think I'll see him...

Cheshire Cat: Of course, he's mad, too.

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.

Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.
[laughs maniacally; starts to disappear]


Cheshire Cat: You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

"Most everyone's mad here..." (Ain't THIS the truth?)

I didn't plan on posting anything today after running a marathon chasing Margaret Sanger's 'in context' quotes for this morning's earlier entry, but sometimes, life throws you the oft-unexpected 'curve'.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something 'curvy' this way comes...

Reported last night online at The Telegraph:

The White House covered up an Alice in Wonderland-themed Halloween party staged by film director Tim Burton and actor Johnny Depp for fear of creating the wrong impression during a recession, a new book on the Obamas has claimed.

Depp greeted guests in the costume he had worn in a film version of the Lewis Carroll story released around the same time by Burton, who was given carte blanche to transform the state dining room into a Mad Hatter's tea party in "his signature creepy-comic style".
A long table was "set with antique-looking linens, enormous stuffed animals in chairs, and tiered serving plates with treats like bone-shaped meringue cookies", writes New York Times reporter Jodi Kantor in The Obamas, which is released on Tuesday. Fruit punch was served in blood vials at the bar, she adds.


...

The White House press corps was allowed to report on more modest festivities earlier that day for Washington-area school children, but did not release details of the more glamorous festivities that occurred later for what was the Obamas' first Halloween in office in 2009.

Okay, a couple of things which do NOT bother me about the White House Halloween Party 2009:
  1. If this was a BIG deal back in 2009 we should have talked about it THEN. Last time I looked, it was 2010, oops, make that 2012. Personally, I don't care any more. Over the past several years I've become numb to goofy, misguided, tacky, and inappropriate actions taken by the Obama Administration.
  2. Plus, putting things in context; in 2009 we were still waiting for the 'Hopee / Changee' magic to kick in. I don't think it would have been a huge story back THEN, let alone coverage of this because of a book published in 2012? No, I don't give a flip.
  3. When I first read this report, I thought it was a scam. Why? Because it was just too perfect. The story detail above includes: "The cover-up!", "Silencing of the Press Corpse" (yes, this is a joke - if you get it, just chuckle quietly along with me), "Movie Stars!", "Chewbacca!", "Johnny Depp", and lastly, "Michelle Obama" dressed as some kind of "Leopard Woman".
  4. Seriously, can Halloween 2009 in the White House get any MORE stereotypical than the above?
Is the story being touted on the Telegraph online 'Historically Accurate'? I don't know. I don't care. I fear we have greater issues facing our nation than how the Obama White House celebrated Halloween in 2009.

Things in 2012 which, at a glance, are TRULY scary:
  1. A nuclear Iran
  2. A $15+ TRILLION National Debt
  3. 15% of All Americans are on Food Stamps (Another Record!)
  4. Second-Hand 'Snoring' may be killing my wife
  5. It'll cost me $50,000 to clone "Good Dog Kelly"
Bottom line is, whether the Obama family and staff recreated the entire "Alice in Wonderland" set, or not, in the People's House? I don't care.

If these same folks want to dress up like the "Bevery Hillbillies" and jump up and down in Jethro Bodine's "Cee-ment Pond" - again, I do not care.

So then the question remains: What should I care about?

Oh, I dunno, I guess I have a general sense of unease about the Nation my / your kids will inherit.

I worry that the declining size of the Nation's workforce will be unable to provide for 'Seasoned Citizens' who have the audacity to live longer than their parents did. And since no one is actually attempting to FIX Social Security or Medicare, things will only get worse for the folks who handed over the keys to the Nation to us. We, of course, have managed to find every tree along the roadway to drive into.

I fear that ObamaCare will be the "OnRamp" to the Complete Lives' System, as seen through the eyes of Ezekial Emanuel, the guy who worked behind the scenes to take-over an additional one-sixth of the US economy for the President.

I worry that we have become a Godless Nation whose only claim to fame is that we were 'once great'.

Many of you may have the same concerns I do. Others, I fear, stand on the other side of Alice's Looking Glass and see no more than their own reflection.

I look through the glass. As I write this - I do not like what I see.

If only it were 'just a Hollywood movie'; it would be over in a couple of hours, but we have MONTHS to go. And we'd better not fall asleep again. Once you're through the glass, getting back is hard. Just ask Alice.

No comments: