Monday, April 16, 2012

President Obama Plans His Next Vacation [Retirement?]


Well, when you've got to go, you've got to go...

Where?

On vacation, of course!

Especially if you're the extremely 'hard-working President of Los Estados Unidos de América', his wife, daughters, and dozens of his closest 'hangers on'!

See?  (Or, is it, 'Sí'?  Seriously, I have enough problem with English, so I'm not going there...)

Yes, reported this morning, President Barack Obama is in ['en'] Colombia doing the important business of America.  This 'business' includes, um, er, vitally important things for the American People, which are unfortunately much too important and much too detailed to mention here, but let's just say that his visit to South America is really, really important, and we should all be thankful that he's there. 

After all, if he's THERE, he isn't doing anything here...

President Obama in Colombia - AP
Okay, here's the deal, I can't tell you actually WHAT the President is doing in Colombia because: 

a:  I don't care, 

b:  Figuring it out would require several more mouse clicks, and

c:  It's probably not funny enough to mention here


So, let's just go with what I know from the article I awoke to this morning from the nice folks at CNS News:

Obama in Colombia: ‘Part of My Job Is to Scout Out Where I May Want to Bring Michelle Back Later for Vacation’

(CNSNews.com) - Just two days after President Barack Obama gave a sharply edged response to news anchor Larry Conners of KMOV in St. Louis after Conners had asked the president about Americans who “get frustrated and even angered when they see the first family jetting around [to] different vacations and so forth,” Obama told a panel at the Summit of the Americas in Cartagena, Colombia that part of his job there was to scout out locations for a future vacation with First Lady Michelle Obama.

Obama was speaking on a panel with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff when he made the remarks. The panel was moderated by Chris Matthews of MSNBC.

“I want to thank President Santos and the people of Colombia for the extraordinary hospitality in the beautiful city of Cartagena,” said Obama. “We're having a wonderful time. And usually when I take these summit trips, part of my job is to scout out where I may want to bring Michelle back later for vacation.  So we'll make sure to come back sometime in the near future.”


...

On Thursday, Obama had invited Larry Conners of KMOV to interview him one-on-one at the White House. Conners asked him—in an exchange picked up by The Blaze--about the perception he said some KMOV viewers had that the president and his family took multiple vacations.

"Some of our viewers are complaining they just don’t--they get frustrated and even angered, when they see the first family jetting around, different vacations and so forth, sometimes maybe they think under color of state business and that you're out of touch, that you don't really know what they're experiencing right now,” Conners told the president.

“"I don't know how many viewers you're talking about that say that,” said Obama.

"We do hear from some. Yes, sir," said Conners.

“I hear from all kinds of viewers about everything,” said Obama.

“I am sure you do,” said Conners.

"But the fact of the matter is, I think if you look at my track record, I'm raising a family here,” said Obama. “When we travel, we’ve got to travel through Secret Service and Air Force One. That's not my choice. I think most folks understand how hard I work and how hard this administration is working on behalf of the American people."



Yes, America President Obama is working hard for you, his, um, 'viewers'? All the while he still manages to take time out to raise his family AND to also preside over the decline of America, extend long-term unemployment records, lord over energy price increases which outpace even the Carter Administration's, AND this year is the worst ratings season for...

American Idol 


Yes, while the President is taking credit for everything, let's just toss the proverbial 'kitchen sink' in there too, sure, why not?  You can't take all the credit without getting a little dirty for the blame.

But I have a question for you other 'veiwers' out there?  Do you consider taking your family to Aspen, Martha's Vineyard, Spain, Europe, a prerequisite for 'Quality Family Time'?  I don't.    

Okay, 'personal perspective':  I haven't taken an OFFICIAL Kane Family vacation with my family in over two years.  Sure, mostly it's because I'm cheap - but the other reason is that I (and a lot of the folks I know) can't afford to take a week off away from home. 

The last time I looked, gas prices are over $4.00 per gallon, meals, lodging, and entertainment costs are ALL way up, and that puts the once-a-year-hoped-for trip to Florida at approximately the same "Things I want to Do in My Spare Time" wish list at roughly the same level ranking as "Root Canal" or perhaps, "Wound Debridement".  

Oh sure, I like a wholesome family vacation as much as the next guy, but what kind of vacation is it when you worry about the money you're spending while away from home and then you worry about [GASP!], "Will I have a job to pay the credit card bills once we return to our home?" 

Of course, you must also factor in the mental anguish which surrounds the 1,334 mile return trip from Orlando to the thriving economic Utopia of...  New York State.  Vacation 2012?  No.  Most likely a Staycation once again this year.  Perhaps, the third year IS the charm?!?!

But today I get to read about the President of the United States joking about how HE's scouting out additional vacation spots for his wife?  How about he spend some time propping up our Economy HERE vs. all these "International Travel Engagements / Vacations"?  Don't get me wrong, I don't miss him when he's gone, but if he's going to be running up millions of the National Debt travelling, why can't he go to Tennessee, Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Vegas, you know, someplace that could use the influx of cash?  What's up with all the excursions outside the U.S.?  And JOKING about it? 

I'm getting tired of this guy sticking his finger in my eye and telling me how hard he's working for we, the 'viewers'. 

From where I sit, no, I'm not liking the view at all.  This President's actions remind me of last summer's trip to the Boy Scout Camp where I spent a couple of days re-staining Summer Unit Three's Latrine.  

You can paint a well-used latrine as much as you want, but underneath, the thing is simply a facade which covers up a whole lot of 'pooh'.  It may look nice in a spiffy new coat of stain but once you get up close and hear the buzzing flies, well, you know the sound of 'pooh' when you hear it. 

Every time this President speaks, every time I read his transcribed word, every time I read about what he plans to do via Congress...  I hear the buzz of the flies.  

Feel free to draw any analogies you like.  

In the meanwhile, enjoy this musical tribute to the 1980's as we journey back to a time when women sung understandable lyrics while water-skiing, girl bands were HUGE, the Economy was growing (following the 'Malaise' of the Carter Years), and America was on the mend.




I only wish I knew then, what I know now... 


Youth is wasted on the young -- George Bernard Shaw



No comments: