Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I Saw What You Did

Yesterday afternoon I stopped by the McDonald's on Vestal Parkway and saw something that I hadn't seen in a while. During the middle of the lunch rush, I walked past a man and woman sitting across from each other on the bench. This by itself isn't anything special, people sit across from each other every day.

The difference is the thing that happened next. The man and woman inclined their heads, reached across the table to touch each other's hand, and said a quiet prayer. In the middle of McDonalds.

I sat at my table and watched this simple act with a sense of awe at their public display of 'Grace'. These folks sat in the middle of the restaurant giving thanks for their meal, which, as far as I could tell, consisted of a couple of those 'wrapped in 47% post-consumer waste' combo meals. Perhaps the prayer was not for meal, but rather for the relationship between the two of them.

The prayer completed, they ate their meals quietly, with just a few quiet words passing between them.

I wanted to take a moment today to thank these folks for the simple act which reminded me that the important things are not the things you have, the cars you drive, the size of your house, or the money you have left in your retirement account. The important things are most often found right there in front of you. Sometimes in a noisy, crowded fast-food restaurant.
As you prepare for Thanksgiving, take a moment to recognize the things which you are most thankful for. It won't be the turkey, the stuffing, or the parades. Most likely it's right there in front of you too.

To the nameless couple at the McDonalds: Thank you.

To the folks who stop by the blog from time to time: Thank you.

To my family: All my love, and all of my thanks...

Finally, to our little rescue dog who woke me up before six o'clock again this morning: Well, three out of four ain't bad.

Drive safely folks.

No comments: